just shut up

I know this may be shocking to most of you but the other day I was in a position where know matter what came out of my mouth, not one word could have helped my friend out of a tough spot in his life.

With that being said, I will let you also know that my friend has been deaf his entire life. I want to tell you this because it was a real learning experience for me. I had flash backs to when I was in Hong Kong, trying to get a bunch of Chinese kids to understand English. We both sat there for a second thinking, "Where is our translator, This is going to be hard." We struggled for a minute; him reading my lips and me trying to figure out the few words I know in sign language. Then we got smart, we got out a pen and paper and started writing.
 I have heard over and over again, that most of the time when someone is speaking to us instead of listening to what they are saying we are usually thinking of what we want to say back. This happens even more often in arguments, where we just want to get our own word in to make sure the other person is wrong. I realized that I fall in to this category. It was really hard to say something after ever word when he couldn't hear me, especially when he was writing with his head down. I was forced to sit and listen or in this case read what he was writing. In these awkward moments I learned that my first thought wasn't the thought that would be the most beneficial to what he needed to hear. The first words out of my mouth usually pour out with no thought involved. When I got the pen to write down my response, I realized I had time to sort out what I needed to say, it was direct and to the point. It was what God wanted me to write. No fillers. No drawn out explanations. Just exactly what my friend needed to hear. As the time passed we got more comfortable with the moments between writings. I learned that those moments when I was waiting I had time to ask God to speak. The verse in James kept coming to mind. Everyone should be quick to listen and slow to speak... I felt God telling me, "You can do this, be silent, listen, your friend needs you." 

The afternoon was a really mouth-closer for me. I couldn't wait to go home and tell Danielle how God made me shut up. Seriously though, it was that big of a deal to me. I think we all should take a pen and paper go out and have a conversation with a friend and not say a word. Read in quiet as they write what they are feeling. Listen to the words and let God speak through you. I guarantee you will leave that conversation knowing more about your friend because you actually took the time to listen to them. 

(Please don't tell Isaac and Liam I used the word 'shut up' they are not aloud to use it and remind me of it every time it slips out of my mouth.)
Always praying God will use everyone of you in a new way. 

Peace out and God Bless,
Andy

Comments

Popular Posts