My Approach for 2018

I have never been big on New Years resolutions. That is until last year when Danielle and I decided 2017 was the year of doing bigger and bolder things. It was really fun to keep that mindset and we feel like we succeeded. From organ donations, job changes, life changes and moving homes we really grew as a family. I mean that literally, we had our 4th little boy as well! With all the big things that God taught us in 2017 it felt appropriate to push the limits a little further in 2018. This year has already started off with a new approach.

So what is our new approach? We have long been a part of a culture that preaches intentionality. You need to be intentional with your time, your money, your neighbors, and strangers. You need to be more like Jesus! And at the end of 2017 we found ourselves flipping that on its head. We were being intentionally UNINTENTIONAL. I now that sounds stupid, but it's really been working for our family. Instead of scheduling every little aspect of our lives around something related to a church event, we are letting life happen. And suddenly all these connections we have wanted to make with our neighbors and community are happening. We are developing deeper relationships with our children. And our time doesn't ever feel like it's being wasted. It is certainly a different approach to what we have been doing the last 7 years. It's refreshing. It's freeing. It's letting God work in us rather than us working to please God. It's letting God be God and us be human. We don't want to appear more godly we want to walk humbly among everyone we meet and let them see how God is changing our humanness.

Another approach Danielle and I have decided was to set goals for ourselves and our family. My goal is to run more. A lot more! My approach is "Go Big or Go Home," So, I joined a running group online "2018 Miles in 2018."

Dang you facebook ads for baiting me in to this challenge.

Considering I only ran 54.3 miles last year. I got my work cut out for me. It's only a minimum of 5.53 miles a DAY for 365 days! For signing up I got a shirt that says "2018 Miles in 2018" and a medal that says "2018 Miles Finisher" on it. I got this these items the last part of January! They really go by the honor system in this group.

Shouldn't I get the shirt and medal after I finish?

I learned that they do this for motivation. Wear the shirt = Run more= Hit the Goal.
We can even log our miles on this website, another way of encouraging you to get out and run. After logging my first miles I realized some people have way to much free time because they are at like 500 miles already. A real motivator if I have ever saw one.
Then I learn that some of these people are counting every step of their day as apart of their 2018 miles "ran" in 2018. Now I am not going to judge them for getting out and being active. I just wouldn't count that as running for myself. Even though I am doing way better than last year I am currently sitting at 32.7 miles for the year. I think thats okay considering I live in the mountains with snow, cold and ice. Plus I have lots of time and only 1,985 miles to go!

But if my "Go Big or Go Home" approach doesn't work. I did sign up for another challenge it's only 1000 miles in 2018. Shirt and medal come later.

Just incase I have to burn my 2018 miles in 2018 T-shirt.



In the words of my dear friend Pete. "Much More to Come"






Site sources: www.ilovetorun.org www.runtheyear.com

Comments

Popular Posts